NIBA developed the following interactive history presentation as part of its 90-year celebration at the NIBA/PTDA Joint Industry Summit in 2017. Click to view.
This brochure, developed for the 80-year anniversary in 2007, tells the story of NIBA-The Belting Association by tracing back its origins to 1927.
- On September 17, 1973, NILA directors upon petition form its FLAT BELT DRIVE DIVISION opened its membership rolls to fabricators and/or slitters of industrial belting of all types.
- Name of LEATHER BELTING DIVISION of the Association was changed to FLAT BELT DRIVE DIVISION.
- On December 4, 1959, the Headquarters Office of the Association was closed in New York and moved to Pompano Beach, Florida
- On January 18, 1954, through its legal representative, petitioned the New York Secretary of State to change its name to the NATIONAL Industrial LEATHER ASSOCIATION. This petition was granted and the organization then became the NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL LEATHER ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED. This change was made for the reason that the Association now represented not only the manufacturers of leather belting but also manufacturers of mechanical leathers, leather packings, and textile leathers.
- On June 4, 1954, the Internal Revenue Service extended income tax exemption to the NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL LEATHER ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED.
- The association established its own headquarters at 41 Park Row, New York and Mr. Rath among others, became an employee of the association.
- Manufacturers of textile leathers applied for membership in the Association which resulted in the recognition of the TEXTILE LEATHER DIVISION of the Association.
- Manufacturers of mechanical leather packings were accepted into the membership of the Association under the name of MECHANICAL LEATHER PACKING DIVISION.
- Income tax exemption granted the Association on August 28th, 1942.
- AMERICAN LEATHER BELTING ASSOCIATION moved into the office of the Power Transmission Council at 63 Park Row, New York, and E.R. Rath of PTC was assigned to ALBA as its Executive Secretary.
- An extensive advertising program covering leather belting was contemplated and put into effect.
- Association incorporated under the laws of the State of New York with the name AMERICAN LEATHER BELTING ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED.
|2017||Vernon Smith||Universal Belting Resource|
|2016||Tom Pientok||Apache Inc|
|2015||John Shelton||Belt Power LLC|
|2013||John P. Green||Green Rubber - Kennedy Ag|
|2012||Chris McCarty||Conveyor Accessories Inc|
|2011||Michael Labbé||REMA TIP TOP|
|2010||Donald Garner||Nashville Rubber & Gasket Co|
|2009||Frank Klaene||F.N. Sheppard & Company|
|2008||Jackie Robb Britt||Rubber & Accessories Inc|
|2007||René Morf||VIS USA LLC.|
|2006||Tom Richardson||Conveyor Accessories Inc.|
|2005||Ted Lushch||Jerry Bros. Industries Inc.|
|2004||Bruce Dieleman||Sparks Belting Company|
|2003||Charlie Vickers||McLeod Belting Company|
|2002||Ronald L. Roalsen||Rubber & Plastics Inc.|
|2001||Wayne E. Hoffman||Siegling Amerr|
|2000||Thomas E. Crandall||Dunham Rubber & Belting Corp.|
|1999||Carl W. Covin||Industrial Rubber Products|
|1998||Richard Womack||Flexible Steel Lacing Company|
|1997||Roy Campen||Apache Hose & Belting Inc.|
|1996||Raymond E. Borup||Scandura Inc.|
|1995||Ray Snow||Rubber Plus Inc.|
|1994||Don Chapman||Goodyear Rubber and Supply|
|1993||Loyd Rich||McLeod Belting Co. Inc.|
|1992||Andrew B. Lewis||Lewis-Goetz & Co.Inc.|
|1991||John K. Slingluff Jr.||Baltimore Belting Co. Inc.|
|1990||Bruce P. Kislul||York Belting Limited|
|1989||Kenneth A. Hendin||Premier Belting Co. of Canada Ltd.|
|1988||Olin V. Hyde||Jerry Bros. Belting Co. Inc|
|1987||John D. Wardrop||Sparks Belting Co.|
|1986||Harry K. Robb Jr.||Rubber & Accessories Inc.|
|1985||Shannon L. Kinslow||Motion Industries Inc.|
|1984||Thomas H. Dunham||Dunham Rubber & Belting Co.|
|1983||William J. Toomey||Tate Engineering Inc.|
|1982||David W. Lawrence||Gooding Rubber Company|
|1981||Bill Purser||King Bearing Inc.|
|1980||Charles W. Yob||Industrial Belting and Supply Inc.|
|1979||James A. Meyer||Fabricon|
|1978||Kenneth D. Greenfield||Dearborn Rubber Corp.|
|1976-77||Vincent K. Alexander||Manheim Manufacturing & Belting Co.|
|1975||Daniel C. Frysinger||J.E. Rhoads & Sons Inc.|
|1973-74||Ernest D. Key Jr.||Atlanta Belting Company|
|1971-72||Frank N. Fermano||Albert Trostel Packings Ltd.|
|1969-1970||E.S Johnson||McLeod Leather & Belting Co. Inc.|
|1967-68||Edward H. Ball Jr.||Chicago-Allis Mfg. Corp|
|1965-1966||R.A. Waterfield||Page Belting Company|
|1964||Julius A. Schachner Jr.||Schachner Leather & Belting Co.|
|2017||The Diplomat Resort (Joint Summit with PTDA)||Hollywood, Florida|
|2016||J.W Marriot Indianapolis||Indianapols, Indiana|
|2015||Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa||Palm Springs, California|
|2014||Sheraton Hotel Seattle||Seattle, Washington|
|2013||J.W. Marriott San Antonio Hill Country||San Antonio, Texas|
|2012||Walt Disney World Swan||Orlando, Florida|
|2011||J.W. Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|2010||J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge||Phoenix, Arizona|
|2009||Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa||Lost Pines (Austin), Texas|
|2008||J.W. Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa||Tucson, Arizona|
|2007||J.W. Marriott Waterfront||Baltimore, Maryland|
|2006||Westin Mission Hills Rancho||Mirage (Palm Springs), California|
|2005||Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa||Phoenix (New Orleans), Arizona|
|2004||J.W. Marriott Hotel & Marina||San Diego, California|
|2003||The Westin Harbour Castle||Toronto, Ontario|
|2002||Opryland Hotel||Nashville, Tennessee|
|2001||Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort||San Antonio, Texas|
|2000||The J.W. Marriott Copley Place||Boston, Massachusetts|
|1999||Walt Disney World Swan||Orlando, Florida|
|1998||Scottsdale Princess||Scottsdale, Arizona|
|1997||Chicago’s Downtown Marriott||Chicago, Illinois|
|1996||The Westin La Paloma||Tucson, Arizona|
|1995||Westin Resort||Hilton Head, South Carolina|
|1994||J.W. Marriott Desert Springs||Palm Desert, California|
|1993||Bonaventure Hotel||Montreal, Quebec|
|1992||The Broadmoor||Colorado Springs, Colorado|
|1991||The Fairmont Hotel||San Francisco, California|
|1990||Disney’s Buena Vista Palace||Orlando, Florida|
|1989||J.W. Marriott Hilton Head Resort||Hilton Head, South Carolina|
|1988||J.W. Marriott Camelback Inn||Scottsdale, Arizona|
|1987||Westin Hotel||Toronto, Ontario|
|1986||Vacation Village||San Diego, California|
|1985||Bonaventure Hotel & Spa||Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|1984||Hyatt Regency Crystal City||Arlington, Virginia|
|1983||Hyatt Regency||Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|1982||Copley Plaza Hotel||Boston, Massachusetts|
|1981||Fairmont Hotel||San Francisco, California|
|1980||Fairmont Hotel||Dallas, Texas|
|1976||Water Tower Hyatt House Hotel||Chicago, Illinois|
George L. Abbott
Vincent K. Alexander (D)
Preston D. Baldwin (D)
Alfred E. Gladding
Mark M. Jones
Jack Keating (D)
Ernest D. Key, Jr.
A. B. Laurence (D)
S. C. Leonard
Ray Snow (D)
Harry Robb, Jr.
John D. Wardrop
|(D) – deceased|
Check out NIBA's full history at http://history.niba.org/